Sunday, January 26, 2014

Applying 3D printing to solve the "Leaning Tower of Pisa" Issue



The title is a total lie. Just wanted to be clear on that before we continue. It was just a shameless ploy to grab attention.
This is my latest print attempt, using polypropylene http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypropylene plastic welding rod.
The above object was my attempt to print the Vertical Calibration object http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:215101. It was supposed to be 30mm wide and 50mm high, but my dimensions were about 35mm wide and 46mm tall. That means I need to increase my z axis and decrease my x and y axis. I also noticed that the sides were not filled completely. That may be due to a temperature problem, I was extruding at  about 235C, though I had set a value of 237C. I will try increasing to see if smoothness improves doing that. The other reason is possibly I need to increase my extrusion multiplier from 1 to maybe 1.2.  According to the stats it was about 2.6M of filament and about 18+ cubic centimeters. I was happy to see that I was able to print straight up and down. This makes for a great start. I bought some Canadian whiskey, maybe I can print one of those shot glasses everyone was toasting their early repraps with. I'm anxious to start printing parts that will be sturdy and functional and replace the cheap molded parts I bought way back when.

No comments:

Post a Comment