Saturday, February 8, 2014

Major fix, now destined for better 3D objects.

The issue I must have been fighting for a loooong time was due to the hobbed bolt in the extruder. I rectified it by trying to hob a new bolt but for the real grip I then took my dremmel tool with a carbide/diamond cutter, slightly thinner than the other cutters and cut grooves lengthwise through the bolt across the groove where the filament passes to give it better teeth. I used my drill press to hold the bolt so I could turn it as needed and use my dremmel in a vice that is used for milling and then drove the dremmel against the bolt to cut the grooves. The solid positioning helped not break the blade and give good grooves. I then tried making another square box and had solid sides this time. There were good thick walls so I may need to cut back on the amount of extrusion, but all the layers were solidly stuck together. The next problem to address is cooling all the sides. Cooling from the back of the object left the front rounded, so I will install another fan so that it is cooled there and the objects filament should solidify as it prints.
Now I should be able to concentrate on calibrating everything with consistent plastic flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment